2015年3月11日 星期三

Gunmen attack on Paris newspaper kills 12, including the editor


Masked gunmen shouting “Allahu Akbar” stormed the Paris offices of a satirical newspaper yesterday, killing 12 people, including the editor and a cartoonist, before escaping. It was France’s deadliest terror attack in at least two decades.
With a manhunt on, French President Francois Hollande called the attack on the ***Charlie Hebdo*** weekly, whose caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad have frequently drawn condemnation from Muslims, “a terrorist attack without a doubt.” He said several other attacks have been thwarted in France “in recent weeks.”
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
France raised its security alert to the highest level and reinforced protective measures at houses of worship, stores, media offices and transportation. Top government officials were holding an emergency meeting and Hollande planned a nationally televised address in the evening. Schools across the French capital closed their doors.
World leaders including US President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel condemned the attack, but supporters of the militant Islamic State group celebrated the slayings as well-deserved revenge against France.
The Islamic State group, formerly known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, has repeatedly threatened to attack France. Just minutes before the attack, ***Charlie Hebdo*** had tweeted a satirical cartoon of the extremist group’s leader giving New Year’s wishes. Another cartoon, released in this week’s issue and entitled ***Still No Attacks in France***, had a caricature of an extremist fighter saying: “Just wait — we have until the end of January to present our New Year’s wishes.”
The 12 dead included two men who went by the pen names: Charb the editor and a cartoonist as well, and the cartoonist Cabu, spokeswoman Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre of the Paris Prosecutor’s Office confirmed. Two police officers were also among the dead, including one assigned as Charb’s bodyguard after prior death threats against him, a police official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.
Video images on the website of public broadcaster France Televisions showed two gunmen in black at a crossroads who appeared to fire down one of the streets. A cry of “Allahu Akbar” could be heard among the gunshots.
Obama’s top spokesman said US officials have been in close contact with the French since the attack.
“We know they are not going to be cowed by this terrible act” spokesman Josh Earnest said. On social media, supporters of militant Islamic groups praised the move. One Twitter user who identified themselves as a Tunisian loyalist of al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group called the attack well-deserved revenge against France.
Wednesday’s attack comes the same day of the release of a book by a celebrated French novelist depicting France’s election of its first Muslim president. Hollande had been due to meet with the nation’s top religious officials later in the day.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2015/01/08/2003608725

Structure of the Lead
who:Paris magazine
when:1/7 , 2015
what:12 people was killed
why: The comic was about religion
where:Paris
how:10 employees and 2 police were gunshot
Key words:
editor編輯
cartoonist漫畫家
caricatures畫成漫畫諷刺
revenge復仇
satirical寫諷刺文章的

2015年3月4日 星期三

‘Facilitator’ of attack on school killed in Pakistan


Pakistani security forces have killed a Taliban commander who allegedly facilitated the Peshawar school massacre, which left 148 people dead in the country’s worst-ever terror attack, officials said on Friday.
Named only as “Saddam,” the militant was killed on Thursday night in a gunbattle with security forces in the restive Khyber tribal district, which borders the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar where last week’s attack took place.
“Commander Saddam was a dreaded terrorist, who was killed in an exchange of fire with the security forces in Jamrud town of Khyber tribal region,” top local administration official Shahab Ali Shah said at a press conference in Peshawar. “Six of his accomplices were injured and arrested.”
He added that Saddam is believed to have facilitated the school attack, although the extent or capacity of his alleged involvement was not yet known.
“Authorities are currently interrogating the injured terrorists,” Shah said.
He described Saddam as an important commander in Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan and said he had masterminded several bomb attacks.
Saddam and his accomplices had been involved in several recent attacks on security forces that had resulted in heavy casualties, Shah said.
The military said it killed 23 militants in aerial strikes in northwest Pakistan near the Afghan border on Friday evening.
“In very effective and precise aerial strikes in North Waziristan this evening, 23 terrorists including some important commanders were killed,” the military said in a statement. “A huge underground ammunition dump and tunnel system have been destroyed.”
The Taliban and other militants have taken refuge in the Khyber region from a major Pakistani army offensive launched in June in North Waziristan, another restive tribal area on the Afghan border that has been a hub for al-Qaeda and Taliban militants since the early 2000s.
In related news, a US drone strike on a Taliban compound in North Waziristan killed at least four militants on Friday, officials said, the second such incident in a week. Another drone strike in North Waziristan on Saturday last week killed at least five militants, officials said. The area is generally off-limits to journalists, making it difficult to independently verify the number and identity of the dead.
Washington pressed Islamabad for years to wipe out militant sanctuaries in North Waziristan, which have been used to launch attacks on NATO forces in Afghanistan. The Pakistani military says it has killed more than 1,700 militants so far in its heavy offensive in the tribal zone, with 126 soldiers having lost their lives.
Pakistan has ramped up its anti-terror strategy in the wake of the attack on Tuesday last week of an army-run school in Peshawar, where 134 children were among the victims shot to death by heavily armed Taliban militants.
Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has announced the establishment of military courts for terror-related cases in order to accelerate trials, and he has also lifted a six-year moratorium on the death penalty, reinstating it for terrorism-related cases.
Officials said on Monday that Pakistan plans to execute about 500 militants in the coming weeks.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2014/12/28/2003607793

Structure of the Lead
who:Taliban, Pakistan
when:2014/12/17
what:Taliban attacked on Peshawar
why:Holy War
where:Pakistan, Peshawar
how:141 people were killed

Key words:

commander 指揮官
massacre 大屠殺
military 軍隊


2015年2月25日 星期三

Family of US man dead in police run-in to sue NYPD

The widow of a New York City man who died this month in a videotaped confrontation with New York City police officers demanded justice on Saturday, saying the victim was not asking for trouble.
Eric Garner “was not a violent man — not in any way, shape or form,” his widow, Esaw Garner, said in what were said to be her first public remarks about the death. “He was a quiet man, but he’s making a lot of noise now.”
She said she got a text from her 43-year-old husband a half hour before he died on July 17 that read: “I’m good.”
The widow and other members of Garner’s family spoke at the Harlem headquarters of the Reverend Al Sharpton, a civil rights activist.
On Friday, Sharpton and the family met with federal prosecutors to ask them to bring a civil rights case against the New York Police Department (NYPD) officers who stopped Garner in Staten Island on suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes.
A video shot by an onlooker shows Garner telling the officers to leave him alone and refusing to be handcuffed. In the clip, one appears to respond by putting Garner in a chokehold, which is banned under police policy. Garner is heard gasping “I can’t breathe.”
He was later pronounced dead at the hospital. Autopsy results are pending.
The NYPD is investigating, Staten Island prosecutors have launched a criminal probe, the officer has been placed on desk duty and other public safety workers involved have been pulled from the street. US Attorney General Eric Holder has said that the US Department of Justice is “closely monitoring” the investigation into Garner’s death.
“We want justice for my son... I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy,” said Gwen Carr, Garner’s mother.
Police also confirmed on Saturday that another officer has been placed on restricted duty after an amateur video surfaced that purportedly shows him stomping on the head of a Brooklyn drug suspect during a recent arrest.
In a statement, Patrolmen’s Association president Patrick Lynch cautioned against reading too much into the videos.
“Videotapes never present all of the facts in a situation,” Lynch said. “They never capture the criminal act or offense that brings police action to the scene. They present an isolated period of a police interaction, but never the entire scenario.”
The Garner family was joined on Saturday by the fiancee of Sean Bell, an unarmed man killed by NYPD officers in a 50-bullet barrage in 2006 on what would have been his wedding day.
Three officers were cleared of manslaughter charges, but the city was ordered to pay more than US$7 million in a wrongful death claim.
“Seeing this family is like looking in the mirror,” said Nicole Paultre Bell, who took her late finance’s name after his death.
Sharpton told the audience he is planning to rally support for a federal probe by inviting activists from across the country to march across the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.
“We are not going to let this go. Can you imagine? A chokehold on videotape? If we can’t get justice here, we can’t get justice anywhere,” Sharpton said.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2014/07/28/2003596130

Structure of the Lead
who: Eric Garner
when:7/17/2014
what:A white police killed a black man didn't be sued
why:The reason of the police didn't be sued caused a conflict
where:New York
how:racial problem

Key words:
confrontation 對立
investigating 調查團
confirmed 認定